YOUR CARE CONNECTED - Patient Information Leaflet/Letter and Opt Out Forms are at the bottom of this page
Allowing healthcare professionals to view information from your GP record will provide them with important and potentially life-saving information; it will also help to reduce unnecessary repeat tests, such as blood tests and X-rays. Sharing your medical records could save your life.
Did you know... Your GP medical record is the most complete record of your health and wellbeing. But did you know that when you visit a hospital, access mental health or out of hours services, or need an ambulance, those treating you cannot access your record? Your local NHS feels that those involved in your care should be able to see vital information about you to help improve the medical care that you receive, which is why Your Care Connected is being implemented across Birmingham, Sandwell and Solihull. Your Care Connected will allow doctors, nurses and other registered healthcare professionals caring for you to view information from your GP record, with your permission, to provide you with better, safer care.
How this helps you •
- Faster and easier access to your medical information, which could save your life
- Provides information such as any medication you take and the dosage, any allergies you may have, the results of any recent medical tests you’ve had or which member of the GP practice staff you saw last
- Improves the safety and quality of your care
- Less time spent filling in forms
- More secure than your GP sending your record via fax or recorded delivery to the participating organisations (which is the current alternative)
- Enables safer delivery of care in an emergency
Who will be able to access your information?
When you visit one of the organisations below, the person treating you will ask for your permission to view information from your GP record using Your Care Connected.
This will help to provide you with better, safer care: • Birmingham Children’s Hospital • Birmingham Community Healthcare
• Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health Foundation Trust • Birmingham Women’s Hospital • Birmingham City Hospital • Good Hope Hospital • Heartlands Hospital • Queen Elizabeth Hospital • The Royal Orthopaedic Hospital • Sandwell General Hospital • Solihull Hospital • West Midlands Ambulance Service • Local out-of-hours GP services
Your Care Connected can only be used to view your information with your permission and for your direct care. Please note that clinicians may override your permission in the event of an emergency, for example if you are unconscious or otherwise unable to communicate, or they feel it is essential to your health and wellbeing.
Your information will not be used for any other purposes, such as for research, or given /sold to third parties.
The importance of privacy Only registered healthcare professionals can view your medical records and they will always ask permission before doing so. What’s more, access is provided through a locked network ensuring your information is always secured to the highest possible standards. The information you share will always be protected.
What will they see?
Health professionals treating you will only view the parts of your medical record listed below and only with your permission; if you allow them to access your record, it will provide them with a host of important information, including: • Allergies • Medication • Hospital admissions and referrals • Vaccinations and immunisations • Test results • Diagnoses • Treatment • Medical procedures • End of life wishes • Demographic information (age, gender etc.) • Concerns related to abuse of vulnerable children or adults.
What is not shared?
Your Care Connected does not share everything from your GP record. This is because we follow national guidance on patient confidentiality and the sharing of sensitive information. As a result, Your Care Connected does not currently share information relating to:
• IVF treatment • HIV and AIDS • Sexually transmitted infections • Gender reassignment • Termination of pregnancy • Free text from GP record.
Your information, your choice
When it comes to your healthcare, you have the power to choose who can see your medical information, when they can see it and how they can access it. If you are happy to share your medical information with those treating you, you do not need to do anything further. If you visit one of the organisations listed on the previous page, those treating you will ask for your permission to view your record.
If you decide to ‘opt-out’ of Your Care Connected only your usual medical practice will be able to access your record electronically. Please be aware that opting out will mean your record is not available at all, even in emergency situations. If you wish to ‘opt-out’ please speak to your practice directly.
Would you like to know more?
Please visit MidlandsYourCareConnected.nhs.uk
Alternatively, you can email the team InfoMidlandsYourCareConnected@nhs.net
Or call them on Freephone 0333 150 3388
Your Care Connected Patient Leaflet
Your Care Connected Opt Out Form
Your Care Connected Patient Letter